The WRDA Advocacy Committee exists to create awareness and positive change around local issues that affect immigrant and refugee populations by engaging elected officials and their constituents.
This committee encompasses the Mission, vision and values of World Relief by encouraging Christ-like behavior in relationships and engagement with public officials, fighting to stand for the most vulnerable in our local community and give a voice to the immigrants we welcome and the volunteers we partner with.
The committee will engage in fighting for and with issues that are
- Affecting a group, not just an individual
- Can be changed/improved by an elected official
The goal is to create awareness of issues facing our immigrant communities and to partner with others who are interested in similar causes.
You can sign up on World Relief’s Facebook and Twitter sites to receive the latest information or email the advocacy team to learn more.
Ask Your Member of Congress to Co-Sponsor The Strengthening Refugee Resettlement Act
Representative Keith Ellison (D-MN) has introduced the Strengthening Refugee Resettlement Act (HR 6460) which would make broad-reaching reforms to the refugee resettlement program. This bill is a recognition of the many challenges refugees face through the resettlement process and once in the United States in terms of becoming self-sufficient and fully integrated into American society. By streamlining refugee processing and ensuring coordination between various government agencies tasked with refugee resettlement, the bill would help refugees arrive to the United States as quickly as possible. The bill also helps refugees in the integration process by expanding successful programs that help refugees become recertified as working professionals or receive mental health counseling if needed.
Please ask your Representative to co-sponsor this bill and do the following:
1) Fill out the template letter and fax it to your Representative
2) Call your Representative and ask for his/her support of the bill
For more Information:
Andrew Timbie, Committee Chair
(630) 462-7566 x1059 | email@example.com
World Relief Resources:
Are you looking for more information on the immigration debate from a Christian perspective?
Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion, & Truth in the Immigration Debate is co-authored by World Relief Staff, Matthew Soerens and Jenny Hwang
- Purchase a copy at InterVarsity Press, ChristianBook.com, or Amazon.com
- Find more information at www.WelcomingTheStranger.com
- Become a fan of the book on Facebook
- Stop by World Relief DuPage or World Relief Aurora to purchase a copy
For more Information:
Matthew Soerens, U.S. Church Training Specialist
(630) 462-7566 x1090 | firstname.lastname@example.org