World Relief is committed to supporting governmental policies and actions consistent with the call of Scripture to welcome the stranger among us. In working with immigrants and refugees we understand the vital role of government in setting policy and in funding programs that are in the public interest. Current our advocacy efforts are focused on:
Funding for Adult Literacy Programs
As of April 2015, the State of Illinois enters it 10th month without a state budget. This means that anticipated funding for the Adult Education Programs of WRDA has not been received. While a bill was passed to allow the state to distribute part of the federal funds provided to the state to supplement Adult Literacy, WRDA has had to significantly cut back on the English as a Second Language services needed by refugees and immigrants arriving in our communities.
As this political stalemate continues, we ask support from our community to:
- Encourage the passage of a compassionate state budget. The fiscal crisis of our state is well known, but today people are being hurt by inaction on a state budget. Please consider urging our political leaders to work together to pass a budget that keeps in focus the needs of the most vulnerable in our communities, including immigrants and refugees. For contact information for our governor and your representative, you can use this locator.
- Financially support the work of WRDA. WRDA is committed to lessening our dependence on public funding, but this will only be possible as individuals, churches, businesses and foundations are willing to help us fund the supports that refugees and immigrants need as they build a new life in America. Consider giving online today. Click Here
- Get personally involved. WRDA needs volunteers both to supplement and extend the professional work of our staff, but also to build the skills to serve refugees and immigrants. Especially in this time of dire threat to our Education and Early Childhood programs please consider spending some of your time in serving. More information on becoming a volunteer is avaible here.
World Relief is committed to reforming American immigration policies to make them consistent with the heart of God as seen in scripture. Specifically, we believe that reform is needed to speed processing of family-based immigration, create responsive avenues for immigrants to work in the US, provide a pathway to legal status for undocumented immigrants, and protect the border humanely. There are ways you can be involved today:
- Pray4Reform-Please consider gathering a small group of friends or colleagues to come together to pray for immigrants and our legislators. As you do so, please sign up at www.pray4reform.org and tell us about your event! The attached prayer guide provides Scripture readings and specific prayer points for your time together.
- Stay informed of changes and updates to a variety of immigration-related issues. Follow WRDA on social media and also follow welcomingthestranger.com.
- Call Your Member of Congress- Dial this number 866-877-5552 and get connected to your Senator! Save the number to your phone, and share the number with your friends. Members of Congress continue to say the calls into their offices are overwhelmingly against immigration reform, let’s try to change that!
- Email and Write Letters- Go to our website www.worldrelief.org/advocate and contact your Member of Congress directly. Email your Senator and Representative, and use the template letter to draft and mail in your own letter by fax or snail mail!
Are you looking for more information on the immigration debate from a Christian perspective?
Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion, & Truth in the Immigration Debate is co-authored by World Relief Staff, Matthew Soerens and Jenny Hwang (Yang)